IN THIS ISSUE:
- PRINCIPAL / VP MESSAGE
- LOST & FOUND
- PINK SHIRTS
- SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING
- PICS FROM THE WEEK
- UPCOMING DATES
If your child was born in 2011, Kindergarten registration registration continues to be open each day from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Call or drop by the school office for more information.
The Surrey School District is pleased to welcome all new students to our schools. In-person registration is required at the neighbourhood school or school of choice (if space is available). The following documents are required at the school when registering:
- Proof of birth date for the student (birth certificate or passport).
- Proof of guardianship (as shown on child’s birth certificate, or other appropriate legal documentation such as landed immigrant document or guardianship order).
- Proof of citizenship for both the parent and student (Canadian birth certificate, citizenship card, passport, landed immigrant document, permanent resident card, enhanced driver’s license or enhanced identification card).
- Proof of residence (e.g., ordinarily resident) of parent/guardian in BC:
- BC driver’s license, BC Services Card, BCID or BC Care Card of parent/legal guardian; or
- A combination of other supporting documentation such as ownership/long-term lease of dwelling, vehicle registration, employment within community, Canadian income tax record, etc.
- Proof of living address (purchase or rental agreement, utility bill, driver’s license, etc.).*
Kindergarten registration flyer-2016-17.pdf
Specialty and Choice programs
Surrey Schools offers a number of “choice” programs that challenge students and enhance special skills or subscribe to certain philosophies. Students still receive the regular B.C. school curriculum, but also have an opportunity to extend their understanding and experience.
You do not need to live near the school or in the district to enroll.
Lost & Found
Our lost and found clothing items are on display in the mail hallway. Please drop by the office to pick up a visitor badge and view the lost and found display.
Pink Shirt Orders
Pink Shirt Day
We encourage everyone to openly express that “Kindness is one size fits all”. We all have the capacity to spread kindness and that is the underlying philosophy behind our anti-bullying movement: a movement we hope lives year round beyond Pink Shirt Day. After all, kindness never goes out of style. http://pinkshirtday.ca/about-us/
At Geoges Vanier you can order our own unique Pink Shirts! Orders are due Feb. 4th.
Social Emotional Learning – our central goal at Georges Vanier Elem.
- Self-awareness: The ability to accurately recognize one’s emotions and thoughts and their influence on behavior. This includes accurately assessing one’s strengths and limitations and possessing a well-grounded sense of confidence and optimism.
- Self-management: The ability to regulate one’s emotions, thoughts, and behaviors effectively in different situations. This includes managing stress, controlling impulses, motivating oneself, and setting and working toward achieving personal and academic goals.
- Social awareness: The ability to take the perspective of and empathize with others from diverse backgrounds and cultures, to understand social and ethical norms for behavior, and to recognize family, school, and community resources and supports.
- Relationship skills: The ability to establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships with diverse individuals and groups. This includes communicating clearly, listening actively, cooperating, resisting inappropriate social pressure, negotiating conflict constructively, and seeking and offering help when needed.
- Responsible decision making: The ability to make constructive and respectful choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on consideration of ethical standards, safety concerns, social norms, the realistic evaluation of consequences of various actions, and the well-being of self and others.
Pics From The Week
Jan. 25 - FSAs begin this week for Grade 4&7s Jan. 27 - Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m. Feb. 1 - eFSA testing this week Feb. 4 - Pink Shirt orders due Feb. 8 - Family Day holiday Feb. 15 - Clothing Exchange open, 2:30 p.m. Feb. 17 - Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m. Feb. 17 - Frank Hurt Parent Night, 6:15 p.m. Feb. 19 - Non-Instructional Day Feb. 24 - Pink Shirt Day Mar. 1,2 - AquaVan at GV Mar. 8 - Term 2 CSL letter sent home (previous Term 2 Report Card date) Mar. 10 - early dismissal, 1:30 p.m. Mar. 14 - 24 - Spring Break Mar. 25, 28 - Easter Holiday