IN THIS ISSUE:
- PRINCIPAL / VP MESSAGE
- FRENCH CONVERSATIONS
- FAMILY DAY HOLIDAY – Monday, Feb. 8th
- SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING
- PICS FROM THE WEEK
- UPCOMING DATES
At our January monthly assembly we learned more about school etiquette, battery recycling, French conversations, our GV basketball season, and celebrated our Primary Stars! Be sure to talk with your children about any of these school topics and events.
Family Day Holiday – Monday, Feb. 8th – 2016
City of Surrey – Families have more opportunities to recreate together during Family Day. There is something for everyone to do. Join us for free activities, music, crafts and more for the whole family. Free Recreation Activities
Newton Recreation Centre In addition to the FREE swim Newton is offering from noon to 3pm, there will be FREE Family Open Gym 10:00am-1:00pm FREE Family Badminton 1:00-3:00pm Play together with your family through a variety of sports, games and crafts. FREE Preteen & Youth Basketball 3:30-6:00pm
Social Emotional Learning
Socially and emotionally competent children and youth are skilled in five core areas:
- They are self-aware. They are able to recognize their emotions, describe their interests and values, and accurately assess their strengths. They have a well-grounded sense of self-confidence and hope for the future.
- They are able to regulate their emotions. They are able to manage stress, control impulses, and persevere in overcoming obstacles. They can set and monitor progress toward the achievement of personal and academic goals and express their emotions appropriately in a wide range of situations.
- They are socially aware. They are able to take the perspective of and empathize with others and recognize and appreciate individual and group similarities and differences. They are able to seek out and appropriately use family, school, and community resources.
- They have good relationship skills. They can establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships based on cooperation. They resist inappropriate social pressure; constructively prevent, manage, and resolve interpersonal conflict; and seek and provide help when needed.
- They demonstrate responsible decision-making at school, at home, and in the community. In making decisions, they consider ethical standards, safety concerns, appropriate social norms, respect for others, and the likely consequences of various courses of action. They apply these decision-making skills in academic and social situations and are motivated to contribute to the well-being of their schools and communities.
Pics From the Week
From the GV LC
Kindergarten classes created collaborative art pieces, based on Snap! By Hazel Hutchins. Picture by Div. 23
Feb. 1 - eFSA testing this week Feb. 4 - Pink Shirt orders due Feb. 8 - Family Day holiday Feb. 15 - Clothing Exchange open, 2:30 p.m. Feb. 17 - Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m. Feb. 17 - Frank Hurt Parent Night, 6:15 p.m. Feb. 19 - Non-Instructional Day Feb. 24 - Pink Shirt Day Feb. 24 - Ready Set Learn - 9:00 a.m. Feb. 24 - B.C. Lions FortisBC Energy Champions Presentation - 1:00 p.m. Mar. 1,2 - AquaVan at GV Mar. 8 - Term 2 CSL letter sent home (previous Term 2 Report Card date) Mar. 10 - early dismissal, 1:30 p.m. Mar. 14 - 24 - Spring Break Mar. 25, 28 - Easter Holiday