IN THIS ISSUE:
- PRINCIPAL / VICE PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE – no school on Monday
- NOTICE RETURN PRIZES
- SCHOOL SAFETY
- PLANNER FEE
- TERRY FOX RUN ON FRIDAY
- ORANGE SHIRT DAY ON FRIDAY
- FREE CLOTHING EXCHANGE OPEN
- PAC MEETING
- PICS FROM THE WEEK
- UPCOMING DATES
Monday, Sept. 26th is our first Professional Day of the year. There is no school for students. Teaching staff will be learning more about BC’s Designed Curriculum, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math), Digital Citizenship, Markerspace, assessment and evaluation.
Newsletter Return Notice
Congratulations to Harman and Haleigh! They each won a $10 Tim Hortons gift card and an Umbro sports bag. Thanks to our MANY students who returned the bottom portion of our September Newsletter. We plan to produce a few print newsletters per school year and remind families that most of our school communication happens here… through the VanierNews.com!
Please be reminded to follow all speed limits, seatbelt, parking and driving laws. Our two staff parking lots are for STAFF ONLY. The two cross walks on 142nd are the safest crossing points. We also remind parents to always enter the school through the front doors, sign in and please wear a visitor badge. Student safety is our highest priority.
We encourage all students in Grades 1-7 to purchase a School Planner at a cost of $5.00. Please send cash or cheque (payable to Georges Vanier Elementary) to school as soon as possible, or inform the teacher if you are unable to pay due to financial constraints.
Terry Fox Run -this Friday, Sept. 30!
Our GV run will take place this Friday, Sept. 30 @ 1:00 p.m. Student leaders will visit classes each morning this week to collect “Toonies for Terry” in support of cancer research.
Parent volunteers are invited to meet at the school office at 12:30 p.m. on Friday. Thank you for your support!
Orange Shirt Day – this Friday, Sept. 30
Orange Shirt Day is a legacy of the St. Joseph Mission (SJM) residential school commemoration event held in Williams Lake, BC, Canada, in the spring of 2013. It grew out of Phyllis’ story of having her shiny new orange shirt taken away on her first day of school at the Mission, and it has become an opportunity to keep the discussion on all aspects of residential schools happening annually.
The date was chosen because it is the time of year in which children were taken from their homes to residential schools, and because it is an opportunity to set the stage for anti-racism and anti-bullying policies for the coming school year. It also gives teachers time to plan events that will include children, as we want to ensure that we are passing the story and learning on to the next generations.
Orange Shirt Day is also an opportunity for First Nations, local governments, schools and communities to come together in the spirit of reconciliation and hope for generations of children to come.
Free Clothing Exchange Open – this Friday, Sept. 30
If you are need of free kids clothing, back packs, or school supplies, please come to the gym on Friday between 2:00 – 3:00, after the Terry Fox run. We have lots of free items to share with families who would benefit from some extra support. We even have a couple of kids bikes and a lot of soccer jerseys!
PAC Meeting – Monday, Oct. 3, 8:45 a.m.
Please come out to our next PAC meeting to begin planning a positive, inclusive and engaging year for our students, parents and community.
Pics From The Week
Here are some action shots from div 9s math assessment on patterns on Friday! We used manipulatives and white boards.
- Sept. 26 – Non Instructional Day – no school for students
- Sept. 30 – Terry Fox Run and Orange Shirt Day
- Sept. 30 – Free Clothing Exchange open, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. in the gym storage room #1
- Oct. 3 – PAC meeting, 8:45 a.m. – all parents welcome
- Oct. 4 – Cross Country Meet at Bear Creek Park
- Oct. 6 – Meet the Teacher Night
- Oct. 10 – Thanksgiving Holiday
- Oct. 11 – Cross Country Meet at Bear Creek Park
- Oct. 13 – Lifetouch school photos
- Oct. 17 – 20 – Walk & Roll to School Week
- Oct. 18 – Cross Country Meet at Bear Creek Park
- Oct. 21 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- Oct. 28 – Diwali Assembly, 9:00 a.m. luncheon for staff, 11:45 in gym
- Oct. 31 – Halloween
- Nov. 4 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- Nov. 9 – Remembrance Day assembly, 10:40 a.m.
- Nov. 10 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- Nov. 11 – Remembrance Day – school closed
- Nov. 15 – Photo re-take day
- Nov. 28 – Art Starts fine arts performance in gym, 11:00 a.m.
- Dec. 6 – Communicating Student Learning letter sent home
- Dec. 8 – Early Dismissal, 1:25 p.m.
- Dec. 15 – Christmas Sing-A-Long, 10:45 a.m. – families welcome
- Dec. 19 – Winter Holiday
- Jan. 3 – School Re-opens