IN THIS ISSUE:
- PRINCIPAL / VICE PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE – Social Emotional Learning
- PAC MEETING – Monday, 8:45 a.m.
- MEET THE TEACHER – Thursday, 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- PLANNER FEE
- PICS FROM THE WEEK
- UPCOMING DATES
At Georges Vanier we continue to value Social Emotional Learning for our students. The following five core competencies are developed through explicit instruction and in the diverse ways that teachers engage students in learning.
Social and Emotional Learning Core Competencies
- Self-awareness: The ability to accurately recognize one’s emotions and thoughts and their influence on behavior. This includes accurately assessing one’s strengths and limitations and possessing a well-grounded sense of confidence and optimism.
- Self-management: The ability to regulate one’s emotions, thoughts, and behaviors effectively in different situations. This includes managing stress, controlling impulses, motivating oneself, and setting and working toward achieving personal and academic goals.
- Social awareness: The ability to take the perspective of and empathize with others from diverse backgrounds and cultures, to understand social and ethical norms for behavior, and to recognize family, school, and community resources and supports.
- Relationship skills: The ability to establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships with diverse individuals and groups. This includes communicating clearly, listening actively, cooperating, resisting inappropriate social pressure, negotiating conflict constructively, and seeking and offering help when needed.
- Responsible decision making: The ability to make constructive and respectful choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on consideration of ethical standards, safety concerns, social norms, the realistic evaluation of consequences of various actions, and the well-being of self and others.
PAC – Parent Advisory Council
Please come out to our October meeting on Monday morning @ 8:45 a.m. We’ll begin planning activities and fundraisers for the school year. Parent / guardian participation is greatly appreciated at Georges Vanier!
Meet The Teacher
Parents / Guardians are welcome to meet our GV staff and classrooms on Thursday evening between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. At approximately 5:25 there will be an invitation for families to move to a second classroom and at 5:50 we’ll begin to draw the evening to a close. The event is not intended for parents to receive a full academic update, but rather to begin forming positive and trusting relationships between home, teachers and new learning spaces for the coming year.
We encourage all students in Grades 1-7 to purchase a School Planner at a cost of $5.00. Please send cash or cheque (payable to Georges Vanier Elementary) to school as soon as possible, or inform the teacher if you are unable to pay due to financial constraints.
Pics From The Week
Teachers learning together during Monday’s Professional Day
We have two new filtered water fountains with bottle fillers!
Thanks for bringing Toonies For Terry!
Orange Shirt Day
Leaving the Learning Commons with new books!
Grade 6/7 Storm Drain Marking
Terry Fox Run
Parent volunteers entered a raffle for a $25 Superstore and a $10 Subway gift card.
- Oct. 3 – PAC meeting, 8:45 a.m. – all parents welcome
- Oct. 4 – Cross Country Meet at Bear Creek Park
- Oct. 6 – Meet the Teacher Night, 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Oct. 10 – Thanksgiving Holiday
- Oct. 11 – Cross Country Meet at Bear Creek Park
- Oct. 13 – Lifetouch school photos
- Oct. 17 – 20 – Walk & Roll to School Week
- Oct. 18 – Cross Country Meet at Bear Creek Park
- Oct. 21 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- Oct. 28 – Diwali Assembly, 9:00 a.m. luncheon for staff, 11:45 in gym
- Oct. 31 – Halloween
- Nov. 4 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- Nov. 9 – Remembrance Day assembly, 10:40 a.m.
- Nov. 10 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- Nov. 11 – Remembrance Day – school closed
- Nov. 15 – Photo re-take day
- Nov. 28 – Art Starts fine arts performance in gym, 11:00 a.m.
- Dec. 6 – Communicating Student Learning letter sent home
- Dec. 8 – Early Dismissal, 1:25 p.m.
- Dec. 15 – Christmas Sing-A-Long, 10:45 a.m. – families welcome
- Dec. 19 – Winter Holiday
- Jan. 3 – School Re-opens