IN THIS ISSUE:
- PRINCIPAL / VICE PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE
- SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING – GV VISION
- LEARNING COMMONS NEWS
- WE CREATE CHANGE
- MOVIE NIGHT THANK-YOU!
- SURREY RCMP NEIGHBOURHOOD SAFETY MEETING
- FRANK HURT OPEN HOUSE
- PICS FROM THE WEEK
- UPCOMING DATES
Principal / Vice Principal’s Message
Welcome back to all of our students and families! We hope that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Spring Break. It’s hard to believe that we have moved into the final three months of school. At Friday’s monthly assembly we learned more about Jump Rope for Heart, We Create Change, Track & Field season, Primary Stars and more!
Social Emotional Learning -GV Vision
During the 2016/17 school year staff engaged in the collaborative development of a vision statement. This statement is currently in draft form and open to further feedback from staff, students and parents. This vision statement will be used to guide our work and learning at Georges Vanier school during the coming years.
Georges Vanier School is envisioned as:
A thoughtful, collaborative and diverse community who creatively engages in learning, embraces challenges and honours growth.
Please see Mr. Dekerf or Mr. Newbold with your thoughts, questions, suggestions or compliments.
Learning Commons News
Students in Divisions 5 and 6 uploaded Mighty Girl images to showcase their research, design, sewing and digital creation. Check out more of the images here.
Students in Division 9 shared the beginning of ‘Mystery in Venice’ and were intrigued by the streets of water. After researching and making gondolas, they turned themselves into gondoliers. Check out more of the images here.
Division 7 imagined a world where you could look out any window and only see peace. They showed their learning using Superimpose and Doodle Buddy Apps. Check out how they made these images and see a video of their work here.
The Book Fair is this week – April 3rd to 7th. Students will have the opportunity to browse and shop during their Library class time. Buyers may also shop at recess and lunch. All are welcome to browse after school. Take a photo in our Pirate Photo Booth and tweet it to our school tag #GVLearn.
We Create Change
Student Leaders are collecting change to help change the world through ‘Me to We’ and Free the Children. On Monday we are collecting nickles, Tuesday dimes, Wednesday quarters, Thursday loonies and toonies on Friday. The money collected is to support clean water projects in India.
Thank you to all families who came out to our PAC Movie Night before Spring Break. We really appreciate the time and dedication that our PAC and parent volunteers put forth in organizing this very successful community building event. PAC raised $950 during this event!
Surrey RCMP Neighbourhood Safety Meeting
Frank Hurt Open House
Pics From The Week
- Apr. 3 – PAC meeting, 8:30 a.m.
- Apr. 3 – 7 – Scholastic Book Fair
- Apr. 12 – April Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- Apr. 14 – 17 – Easter Holiday – no school for students
- Apr. 18 – School reopens after break
- Apr. 20 – Fine Arts performance, 9:00 a.m.
- Apr. 21 – RCMP vs. Grade 7 basketball game at lunch time
- Apr. 27 – Spring Concert – afternoon and evening performances
- May 5 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- May 9 – BC Election Day – (GV Polling Station?)
- May 10 – Early Dismissal (program evaluation, assessment, evaluation)
- May 12 – TEDx Talks Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- May 19 – Pow Wow dancing for intermediates
- May 22 – Victoria Day holiday
- May 25 – Parent Appreciation Tea & Variety Show, 8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
- May 29 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- May 31 – May Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 1 – Kindergarten Orientation, 9:00 a.m.
- June 9 – Sports Day
- June 15 – Primary Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 21 – Celebration Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 22 – Div. 1,2,3,4 Golden Ears FT
- June 27 – Grade 7 Year Farewell Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 29 – Early Dismissal, 1:25, last day of classes