IN THIS ISSUE:
- PRINCIPAL / VICE PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE
- LEARNING COMMONS NEWS
- OWL DISCOVERY
- WRITER’S WORKSHOP IN GRADE 1
- PICS FROM THE WEEK
- UPCOMING DATES
Principal / Vice Principal’s Message
Our school sure was filled with high energy and learning this past week! A big thank you to Ms. Crosland, her team of student volunteers, and all of the shoppers who supported the Scholastic Book Fair. This is a wonderful community building event which supports our literacy goals. Sports activities like badminton, track & field, running club ultimate frizbee and the famous Georges Vanier Hockey League are all underway! Thanks to our many teacher coaches and leaders who give their extra time and talents to support our students!
We have two short school weeks coming up with the long Easter weekend between. School is closed April 14 – 17.
Be sure to mark your calendars for our upcoming Spring Concert on Thursday, April 27th. Tickets will be on sale for afternoon and evening performances. More details will follow!
Learning Commons News
Many thanks to all of the families who visited the Book Fair. Students had lots of fun choosing which books they would like to see added to the Vanier library collection. Students learned about customer service, money math, scheduling, and retail tidying up. Student leaders were exemplary in their commitment and showed a great sense of school spirit and responsibility. Proceeds from this fun literacy event go towards adding new books to the Vanier Learning Commons.
— Anna Crosland (@crosland_a) April 6, 2017
— Meghan Tracey (@megsd36) April 9, 2017
Writer’s Workshop in Grade 1
Ms. Peaker’s class stared writer’s workshop where they build scenes for their stories. Here are a few examples.
Pics From The Week
- Apr. 12 – April Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- Apr. 14 – 17 – Easter Holiday – no school for students
- Apr. 18 – School reopens after break
- Apr. 20 – Fine Arts performance, 9:00 a.m.
- Apr. 21 – RCMP vs. Grade 7 basketball game at lunch time
- Apr. 27 – Spring Concert – afternoon and evening performances
- May 5 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- May 9 – BC Election Day – (GV Polling Station?)
- May 10 – Early Dismissal (program evaluation, assessment, evaluation)
- May 12 – TEDx Talks Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- May 18 – Pow Wow dancing for intermediates
- May 22 – Victoria Day holiday
- May 25 – Parent Appreciation Tea & Variety Show, 8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
- May 29 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- May 31 – May Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 1 – Kindergarten Orientation, 9:00 a.m.
- June 9 – Sports Day
- June 15 – Primary Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 21 – Celebration Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 22 – Div. 1,2,3,4 Golden Ears FT
- June 27 – Grade 7 Year Farewell Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 29 – Early Dismissal, 1:25, last day of classes