IN THIS ISSUE:
- PRINCIPAL / VICE PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE
- STRING ART
- LEARNING COMMONS NEWS
- TED TALKS
- PICS FROM THE WEEK
- BELL SCHEDULE 2017-18
- UPCOMING DATES
Principal / Vice Principal’s Message
Each day at GV we are so proud of the incredible learning experiences that students are actively engaged in within and beyond our school! Student learning is meaningful, linked to personal awareness and responsibility, and aligned with learners’ interests and passions. Each week classes also venture out beyond the walls of the classroom and participate in exciting field trips, as seen in some examples listed below.
Tuesday, May 16: Science Alive workshops, Surrey Art Gallery workshops
Wednesday, May 17: Special Track & Field meet
Thursday, May 18: Discovery Education group visits GV, PowWow dancing
Friday, May 19: Burnaby Village field trip
Applied Design, Skills and Technologies (ADST) – Ms. Tracey
Students in Division 9 were exploring the new ADST curriculum and created string art gifts. First, we used sandpaper to sand a piece of beautiful cedar wood until it was soft and smooth. We traced a simple design on paper and used a hammer and nails to trace around our design. Using string, we wound the string in patterns around the nails.
Learning Commons News
We have been exploring coding with the 5/6 classes using several kinds of robotics and apps. Click here to read about our learning.
Message in a Bottle: Please and thank you are still magic words. We shared Daniel Kirk’s ‘Ten Thank You Letters’ and discussed the importance of showing appreciation for the thoughtfulness of others. Check out how we made these special thank you notes here.
Making ‘I am a Maker’ letters. Students designed letters from our Maker message and had to decide how to best use both the materials and the allotted time. Read about the project here.
On Friday a group of GV students, selected by their teachers, shared informative and inspirational TED talks at a special assembly.
Congratulations to all of our excellent presenters;
- Sandra- How to be Happy
- Yashnoor- Why Sports are Important
- Kiera- Kindness Counts
- Ezekiel- Robotics
- Sabah- Determination
- Priya- The Importance of Friendship
- Zainub- The Dangers of Smoking.
- Autumn- Family
- Aron- Civilization
- Hannah- Clean Water
- Gabriella- Child Labor
- Abdur Raheem- Battery Recycling
- Aniyah-Gender Stereotypes and Girls in Sports
- Nailah- Golden Eagles
- Shazeb- Education in Pakistan
- Angela- Optimism
Pics From The Week
Hallway Art with Ms. Fei
Showing Learning with Mr. O’Neil
AMAZING after school creative event with Taan's Moons Author & Illustrator!! Thanks @surreylibrary!!
— Lise Tilden (@lise_tilden) May 10, 2017
— Lise Tilden (@lise_tilden) May 9, 2017
Bell Schedule 2017-18
- Welcome Bell: 8:35
- Class Starts: 8:40
- Recess: 10:00 – 10:15
- Lunch: 11:45 – 12:30
- End of Day: 2:30
- May 18 – Pow Wow dancing for intermediates
- May 22 – Victoria Day holiday
- May 25 – Parent Appreciation Tea & Variety Show, 8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
- May 29 – Non-Instructional Day – no school for students
- May 31 – May Monthly Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 1 – Kindergarten Orientation, 9:00 a.m.
- June 9 – Sports Day
- June 15 – Primary Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 21 – Celebration Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 22 – Div. 1,2,3,4 Golden Ears FT
- June 27 – Grade 7 Year Farewell Assembly, 9:00 a.m.
- June 29 – Early Dismissal, 1:25, last day of classes