IN THIS ISSUE:
- PRINCIPAL / VICE PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE
- SLEEP AND SCHOOL AGED CHILDREN
- CLASS PHOTOS
- WELCOME SFU STUDENT TEACHERS
- PICS FROM THE WEEK
- LEARNING COMMONS NEWS
- UPCOMING DATES
Principal / Vice Principal’s Message
Thanks to the many students and families who were able to come out to Meet The Teacher last Thursday evening. We also greatly appreciate our PAC members who connected with families, offered chai tea and sold wonderful treats! All parents / guardians are very welcome to contribute to PAC and become involved in small and more significant ways. Your participation, suggestions and new ideas are always welcome!
Sleep and School-aged Children (6-13 years)
Children aged six to 13 need 9-11 hours of sleep. At the same time, there is an increasing demand on their time from school (e.g., homework), sports and other extracurricular and social activities. In addition, school-aged children become more interested in TV, computers, the media and Internet as well as caffeine products – all of which can lead to difficulty falling asleep, nightmares and disruptions to their sleep. In particular, watching TV close to bedtime has been associated with bedtime resistance, difficulty falling asleep, anxiety around sleep and sleeping fewer hours.
Photo Day – Thursday, Oct. 12
Welcome SFU Student Teachers – on Tuesday
The following teachers will be hosting SFU 401 practicum student teachers from Simon Fraser University. We are thankful for our teacher mentors and the many contributions that the student teachers will make to our classrooms and GV school community!
- Ms Hossack – Simrandeep Dhaliwal
- Kim Perry – Riley Dueck
- Ms Murtsell – Desiree Hatt
- Ms. Tracey – Jessica Piotrowski
- Ms. Dhaliwal and Ms. Lutz – Donnel Szlovicsak
Pics From The Week
For information on activities, projects and news from the Vanier Learning Commons click here.
- Oct. 9 Thanksgiving Holiday
- Oct. 10 SFU Student Teacher begin
- Oct. 12 Photo Day
- Oct. 16 FSA booklet tests begin
- Oct. 17 Fine Arts performance, 9:00 a.m.
- Oct. 18 Pizza lunch for students, Diwali
- Oct. 19 Diwali assembly, 9:00 a.m. , luncheon for staff 11:45
- Oct. 20 Non-instructional Day – no school for students
- Oct. 31 Halloween
- Nov. 6 eFSA computer tests this week
- Nov. 7 StrongStart closed today
- Nov. 7 PAC meeting, 8:45 a.m.
- Nov. 9 Remembrance Day Assembly, 10:40 a.m. – families welcome
- Nov. 10 Non-instructional Day – no school for students
- Nov. 13 Remembrance Day – no school
- Nov. 14 Individual photo retakes
- Nov. 16 Fine Arts Performance, 9:00 a.m. in gym, families welcome