- PRINCIPAL / VICE PRINCIPAL’S MESSAGE
- CLASSES SET
- FIRST PAC MEETING
- FAMILY SUPPORTS
- TERRY FOX RUN ON FRIDAY
- PICS FROM THE WEEK
- UPCOMING DATES
- 50th ANNIVERSARY YEAR
Principal / Vice Principal’s Message
We are pleased to let families know that later last week, classes became set for the year. We appreciate that for some students there will be an adjustment period in which they become accustomed to a new teacher and classmates. During the next few weeks, please continue to monitor your child, help build resilience and communicate with the classroom teacher if you have questions or concerns. Mr. Dekerf and Mr. Newbold also are happy to meet with parents, by appointment, about any class placement issues. We are confident that with a bit of time and positive support, all students will soon settle in and begin a new meaningful learning journey!
First PAC Meeting
All parents / guardians are warmly invited to our first Parent Advisory Committee meeting of the 2018-19 school year! We are anticipating some openings on our PAC executive. Please come to this meeting to learning more and find out how you can become more involved in our school!
PAC supports our school in many ways, such as:
- raising funds for extra special learning opportunities, resources and experiences
- building community by hosting special events, like movie nights
- providing students with fun activities and seasonal treats
- offering direction to our school vision and goals
- opening dialogue and sharing ideas between families and school staff
- helping to build a healthy, positive, inclusive and caring school community!
We encourage all students in Grades 1-7 to purchase a School Planner at a cost of $5.00. Included in the planner is our school code of conduct, school calendar and school district information. We find this to be an excellent tool for facilitating home/school communication, as well as for developing our students’ organizational skills.
Teachers have started to hand out Planners and collect funds in class. Please let the teacher know if you are unable to pay the $5.00 fee.
No child will be denied access to educational opportunities, due to financial constraints. If you are unable to pay for Planners, supplies, field trips, etc. Please contact your child’s teacher or communicate directly with Mr. Dekerf. Our school is fortunate to have a meal program, snacks, new backpacks, extra school supplies and a full clothing exchange. We are here to help and support any family in need and do so with complete discretion and confidentiality.
Terry Fox Run on Friday
Please feel welcome to send cash donations this week, in support of the Terry’s dream to find a cure for cancer. Our school run takes place this Friday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. -rain or shine. Parent supporters and volunteers are welcome! Please return the bottom portion of this week’s paper notice to sign up as a volunteer.
Pics From The Week
- Sept. 17 StrongStart opens
- Sept. 18 First PAC meeting and election, 8:30 a.m.
- Sept. 21 Terry Fox run, 1:00 p.m. volunteers welcome!
- Sept. 24 Non-Instructional Day
- Sept. 28 Orange Shirt Day
- Oct. 4 Meet the Teacher event
- Oct. 8 Thanksgiving holiday
- Oct. 11 Picture Day – individual student photos
Georges Vanier School will be 50 years old, February, 2019!
Everyone is invited to learning and celebrate with us.