Principal / Vice Principal Message
We have had a very busy week at Georges Vanier. Our 50th Anniversary was celebrated on Thursday, Feb. 21 with two special events: an assembly and an open house. At the assembly, students and staff shared songs, dances and interesting information about the decades of Georges Vanier’s history. Mr. Dekerf was our special guest and opened with an explanation of how the school prepared for the event, the research about Governor General Georges Vanier (who the school was named after), and the vision for the celebration.
- The Grade 6/7 students shared a slide show of pictures and information about each decade (60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s), and had many of us remembering how things have changed.
- The Grade 7 band under the direction of Ms. Norman, performed several selections, with an all time favourite “Let’s Go Band”, which they changed to “Let’s Go Vanier”!
- The Grade 5’s performed a challenging mixed medley of dances to songs through the decades. They were fantastic!
- The Grade 4’s shared a choreographed dance to “Billie Jean”, that was amazing!
- The Grade 2/3’s led the entire school to the “Macarena”. It was a great community builder and enjoyed by all!
- The K/Grade 1’s performed a dance to “I Like To Move It”. Great spirit!
- The choir, under the direction of Ms. Tovarova, led the entire audience through the decades with songs such as: Ain’t No Mountain High Enough; YMCA; The Final Countdown; It’s A Beautiful Life and Believer. Everyone was dancing!
We want to thank Mr. Newbold and Gurmanjot for their support with technology. They did a fantastic job making sure the music, pictures and slides were in order. Well done!
The school officially opened on February 28, 1969, and so it was fitting that we invite previous students, staff, administration and parents to the open house that took place after school from 3:00 – 4:30 pm. There were several activities for everyone to enjoy including a dancing in the gym, a GV trivia game, photo memorabilia, graffiti wall, playground games and a giant 50th anniversary birthday cake.
A special thank you to Lavish Photo Booth and Grandma Basi for setting up a fun place for everyone to be part of making memories with photographs. We would also like to thank Pavin Khera for spending all of his time taking pictures. We really appreciated it!
We want to thank all of the staff who worked so hard in preparing students, planning and setting up the station activities, helping with signs and parking, as well as baking and icing over 500 cupcakes! During the open house, we had everyone stop what they were doing and sing “Happy Birthday to Georges Vanier”! Everyone was able to have a cupcake from the giant birthday cake. Above all, it was a wonderful celebration with many previous staff, students, parents and administration returning to visit. You are / and were a special part of the Georges Vanier school community.
Wednesday, Feb. 27 PINK SHIRT DAY
Wednesday, Feb. 27 BOYS BASKETBALL PLAYDAY (Georges Vanier is hosting!) Thank you to Ms. Dixon and Ms. Chang for coaching the boys’ team.
Thursday, Feb. 28 GIRLS BASKETBALL PLAYDAY (Georges Vanier is hosting! Thank you to Ms. Henry, Ms. Singh and Mrs. Jouzy for coaching the girls’ team.
Friday, March 8 Fine Arts Performance @ 1:00 pm – “Ache Brasil”
Wednesday, March 12 Early Dismissal @ 1:30
Thursday, March 14 PAC Movie Night from 6:00 – 8:00 pm (Movie TBA)
Friday, March 15 Last day of school before Spring Break